WHAT I'VE DONE
Over 20 years in marketing
I am a marketer who has broad experience across the full marketing mix - add to that a BSc degree specialising in marketing, Chartered Institute of Marketing training plus a lot of intuition in consumer behaviour. In my career I’ve:
- produced marketing strategies for several small to medium-sized businesses
- managed the development of new websites for small technology businesses, to award winning tourism destinations
- planned digital marketing and PR campaigns that have won awards and pushed creative boundaries
- led multi media channel campaigns including Facebook, Twitter, national broadsheet on/offline and OOH
- planned and managed campaigns for both B2B and B2C
A brief history:
- Nov 2015 - present. Freelance Marketing Consultant. After adopting two children in autumn 2015 I embarked on this venture - and have not looked back!
- Sept 2011 - Nov 2015. Head of Marketing at Destination Bristol. Planned and managed the three-year £1 million ‘Growing Tourism Locally’ Regional Growth Funded Campaign, which generated £70.8 million in extra spend for Bristol. Managed all aspects of the plan from PR and content development to travel trade liaison, this included working with several agencies. I was also responsible for key commercial partnerships such as train and airline companies. Destination Bristol acted as a type of marketing agency for the tourism businesses in Bristol and with over 300 clients.
- May 2010 - Oct 2011. Business Manager at Forestry Commission England seconded to the National Comms team. Managed finance and communications for the Policy and Programmes team of experts. Secondment planned and delivered internal communications supporting the 25% cuts as part of the Government Spending Review 2010.
- Nov 2003 - May 2010. Marketing Manager at Westonbirt the National Arboretum. Here I set up the marketing department and managed a team that increased footfall to over 350,000 per year. This included outdoor concert ticket sales for two weekends of seven thousand capacities achieving at least 85% year after year and establishing Westonbirt as a key outdoor events venue in the South West. Marketing support to the Friends of Westonbirt charity. Much of their marketing collateral that exists today I was instrumental in setting up including their website and magazine.
- Feb 2002 - Nov 2003. National Advertising Sales Manager at Newsquest Wales & Western region. Managing a team, I engaged with national and regional Agencies presenting and coordinating newsprint advertising space booking across the magazine and newsprint portfolio.
- 1996 - 2002. Learning the trade. Spells in direct marketing and digital agencies along with a year of running my own entertainment guide.
Passionate about Marketing
My marketing career began in a London based Direct Marketing agency, supporting direct mail shots and magazine production for the likes of Harrods. Back in 1996, direct marketing was all about personalisation and postcode targeting, boy how the digital world has changed all of that.
I’m fascinated by the ever-changing possibilities of digital marketing and the opportunities to cost-effectively target and quickly track what’s working and what isn’t. I’m also intrigued by the way social media is altering how we communicate with each other and the impact this is having on marketing practice.
In late 2015 I chose to enter into the world of freelance marketing as full-time childcare is not an option for my adopted children. Working in a flexible manner, I really want to help people out, using my experience to provide marketing support and management to those who can’t afford to employ someone full-time.
Oh and I like to get around by bike if I can.